Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota, is seeking a Russian Language Lab Instructor for the 2020-2021 academic year. The language lab instructor provides Macalester students with supplemental classroom language instruction. Health and safety conditions permitting, the language lab instructor will live in Macalester’s Russian House and provide students with a resource for cultural study and conversational practice. If residency in the Russian House is not feasible for any duration of the academic year, the lab instructor ideally will reside in reasonable proximity to campus in order to serve as a resource for students of Russian and organize cultural activities. This full-time position is open to candidates who currently reside in the United States.
• Provide supplemental classroom instruction in Elementary and Intermediate Russian courses (in conjunction with Macalester language faculty and adhering to all established college academic standards and procedures)
• If health and safety conditions permit: reside in, manage, and regularly speak Russian with residents of the Russian House for the entire duration of the contract (August 25, 2020 – May 17, 2021)
• Act as a resource for students by providing advanced conversational practice, cultural study, and tutoring as needed
• Lead or assist students with organizing and promoting cultural activities
• Occasionally replace faculty members when they are ill or out of town for professional conferences
• Bachelor’s or equivalent degree required
• Training in language instruction, humanities or linguistics-related field preferred
• Native level proficiency in Russian (verbal and written)
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Background in languages and culture
• Proficiency in English (verbal and written)
• Prior experience teaching at an educational institution required
• Prior experience teaching in a small liberal arts college environment preferred
• Preference given to candidates interested and well versed in contemporary Russian culture
Please submit application materials (resume and cover letter) as well as any questions you may have about the position to Julia Chadaga, Chair of Russian Studies, at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately. This posting will remain open until filled.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.
Posted on June 23, 2020.