Windows Central and East European Fonts and Keyboard Drivers
Special Note for Windows users:
If you use any version of Windows 95 and up, you do NOT need to obtain fonts or keyboard drivers for most CE Languages. Microsoft includes CE support in the system software. For the newest versions of Windows, do the following: Go to "Control Panel" and double-click on "Regional Options". Choose the tab entitled "General". Towards the bottom are the language settings. Check "Central Europe" and choose "ok."
For older versions of Windows, the process is slightly different. To install, do the following:
Open Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs, click the Windows Setup tab, and select the Multilanguage Support check box. (Note: this will also install support for Greek, Cyrillic, etc.) Click "ok" and exit.
Also, don't forget to install a keyboard. In the same Control
Panel, double-click on the Keyboard icon. Go to Language and choose the one you need. You will have to restart the computer for the changes to take effect. The keyboard layout provided is based upon the typewriter layout used in each language.
Setting up fonts and keyboard drivers for Windows
- True Type
- Roman CyrillicStd. Unicode 5.1 font with almost 3500 characters. See Kodeks site for details.
- CampusRomanStd. Unicode 5.1 font with almost 3500 characters. See Kodeks site for details.
- Smart package of Microsoft's core fonts.
- Andale MonoCE, Cyr, Baltic, Greek, Tur
- Arev. CE, Cyrillic, Greek. See source page
for other variants.
- Arial BlackCE, Cyr, Greek, Baltic, Tur
- ArialCE, Cyr, Greek, Baltic, Tur, Arabic, Hebrew
Berling Antigua. Supplied as part of Microsoft Reader.
- Charis SIL.
- Comic Sans MS - CE,Cyr,Baltic,Greek,Tur
- Courier NewCE, Cyr, Greek, Baltic, Tur, Arabic, Hebrew
- Gentium. Provided bySIL International.
- GeorgiaCE, Cyr, Baltic, Greek, Tur
Haettenschweiler CE, Cyr, Greek, Baltic, Tur
- ImpactCE, Cyr, Greek, Baltic, Tur
- Times New Roman CE, Cyr, Greek, Baltic, Tur, Arabic, Hebrew
- Verdana CE, Cyr, Greek, Baltic, Tur
- XSerif Unicode CE, Cyr, Baltic
- cp 852 (DOS Central European)
- cp1250 (Windows CE)
CE. Supports Polish, Czech, Romanian, Slovakian, Hungarian, Slovenian, Croatian, Serbian, Sorbian.
- cp 1257 (Windows Baltic)
- cp 8859-2 (ISO Latin 2)
- ISO 8859-3 (Latin 3)
- ISO Latin 4
Helf's package which also contains keyboards for Latvian and Estonian.
These links are provided purely for informational purposes. No endorsement
or guarantee is made for any product.
Smart Link Corporation. Offers numerous cp 1250 fonts for Windows.
Apex International Trading. Offers Ogonki 3.0, a set of Polish True Type fonts for Windows 3.1 and Win 95.
Linguist's Software. Their
package covers Albanian, Bosniak (Bosnian), Croatian, Czech, English, Estonian,
French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese,
Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, and Sorbian.
This page maintained by:
Andrew M. Drozd
University of Alabama